2.20.2011

Total loss of restraint

When I used to buy CDs, I would only ever buy one at a time. I needed time to play through the entire album, really get to know it, choose my favorite tracks, learn some lyrics. Then, once I felt the album and I had reached a certain relationship level, I would allow myself to go buy another CD. (Man, I hope that's not an allegory for my love life.)

I don't know why, but I don't have the same purchasing restraint with downloadable albums. I go on sprees, almost always buying multiple albums at the same time. (Usually when I get those $5 album emails from Amazon. It's creepy how well the people at Amazon know me.)

The last few weeks, I have acquired, either from a friend or from Amazon, 4 new (to me) albums. It will take me weeks to appreciate it all. (And I'm looking forward to it like it's like Christmas!)


Two Door Cinema Club, Tourist History


I really dislike local news shows. So, if I'm up before 6 am, I catch the weather, and then immediately change the channel to VH1 for the music videos. It's mostly top 40 stuff, but better than local gardening tips and 1 year old birthday shout outs. Lately, they have been playing Two Door Cinema Club's video for "What You Know", so keep an ear out.

Here's another track I'm liking a lot on first listen:
"This Is The Life"



Cake, Showroom of Compassion


This was my Valentine's Day gift to myself. I'm really loving the song "Long Time." It's quintessential Cake, a deceivingly boppy tune with dark lyrics about two lovers living together in eternity after committing suicide.

I also like this one, a little less typical Cake and a little more grit:
"Federal Funding"



The Decemberists, The King is Dead


I waited awhile to buy this one, and now I don't know why. It's turning out to be a good album. My friend CV sold me on the song "January Hymn." It's beautiful.

In honor of this unseasonably warm Midwest weather:
"June Hymn"



Fitz & The Tantrums, Pickin' Up the Pieces


My sister introduced me to Fitz & The Tantrums. I think they have a similar style to Scissor Sisters (a great thing in my book). She's already posted "MoneyGrabber" on her blog, one of my favorites.

As a nod to the politics going on in my home state:
"Dear Mr. President"

2 comments:

  1. I'm also putting "The Charm of the Highway Strip" by the Magnetic Fields in the dropbox. And "Ordinary Riches" by Company of Thieves, since I wasn't sure if you had it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't listen to the music clips yet because I'm at work (without a working pair of headphones ; ), but I look forward to listening to them later! I was addicted to Florence for a good month after I listened to the Cosmic Love video you posted! btw, I end up going on spending (or eating) sprees anytime I try to be good and disciplined for awhile. Just spent a little over $200 on groceries!

    ReplyDelete